Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Epic Cure for the Epicure

The mourning of Excelsior will officially cease on February 24th, with my inaugural visit to L'Espalier in its new location at the posh Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Boylston Street.

In the same cholesterol-impacted vein, I've finally gotten around to making the appropriate preparations for the winter edition of Boston's Restaurant Week. Thankfully, the title itself is false advertising, as the event is actually two weeks long, with several restaurants -- such as OM Restaurant & Lounge in Cambridge -- extending the pre-fixe offer through the entire month of March.

Though the idea is to try new places in the search for a "new favorite" restaurant, I couldn't help but mix in a few returns when I was slotting the seven reservations I've made for the late March event.

The lineup:

Friday, March 20: Clink at the Liberty Hotel - This is a place I haven't been to before, but the pre-fixe they've posted is engaging to say the very least.

Saturday, March 21: Oishii - This will be a lunch outing, as Oishii decided to break from the majority and continue to offer the lunch pre-fixe on that particular Saturday.

Monday, March 23: Tremont 647 - I haven't been here before, but even just from their limited Restaurant Week menu, I have very high hopes for this place.

Tuesday, March 24: The Palm Boston - I've been here twice, which makes the return feel like cheating. But I've only ever had their 16 oz. filet mignon extra rare with asparagus; that's not offered for the event, so it's an opportunity to branch out.

Wednesday, March 25: Gaslight - Okay, so I've been to every place that's left on the list at least once. Gaslight offers traditional French cuisine, and since they've included braised veal cheeks, cassoulet, and champagne sorbet for this one, I can't really resist.

Thursday, March 26: Le Petit Robert Bistro (Kenmore) - I've been to the Columbus Ave. ("South End") installment, and loved it. French food, again -- this time with a little more creative flair on the menu -- this location is a little closer to home, where I'm hoping for a slightly less crowded atmosphere. It looks like they're offering their full, standard menu for the event; a major plus.

Friday, March 27: Top of the Hub - I've only ever been here for drinks and a split dessert, and it was enjoyable, but at the same time, a total tease. So I've landed -- unexpectedly -- Friday night reservations sixty stories up in the Prudential Tower. Who knows; maybe they'll even honor my request for a window table facing downtown.

By the end, I hope to have a new love. But I'm sure to have a larger ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment